Apple releases a new version of iPhone every year, attracting many new consumers with its innovative features. If you are also planning to or have recently purchased a new iPhone, ditching the Windows phone, you might be facing problems migrating your contacts and other important data to the new device.
In order to help you transfer your contacts easily from a Windows device to an iPhone, a self-help guide has been provided below.
Sync through iCloud or SkyDrive
Apple and Microsoft both have their dedicated cloud services, iCloud and SkyDrive respectively. You can use either of these to transfer your contacts from Windows phone to iPhone.
- Download the iCloud client on your Windows phone and login with your account (Create a new account and sign in, if you don’t have one already). Now, sync all your Outlook contacts to iCloud and then transfer them to the iPhone through the same iCloud account on the new device.
- Contacts on a Windows based device are likely to be synced to the SkyDrive automatically. If your contacts are also synced with this cloud service, you can install the free iOS app and transfer them directly to your iPhone.
Sync Through Microsoft Exchange
Windows users can configure automatic synchronization of their contacts with a Microsoft account, like Hotmail.com, Live.com or Outlook.com. This can be used to import the data directly to an iPhone through Microsoft Exchange.
To sync your contacts to a Microsoft account, follow below steps:
- Open the ‘People’ app, tap on the ‘…’ icon at the bottom and select ‘Settings’.
- Scroll to the ‘Accounts’ option and tap on the option ‘add an account’.
- Now, select the Microsoft account that you wish to sync your contacts with and enter your login credentials to sign in.
- The contacts will be automatically synced to the Microsoft account.
You can verify that your contacts are synced, by navigating to https://login.live.com from your browser, signing in to the account and then selecting the ‘People’ option. Here you will see all your contacts loaded to the account.
In order to transfer the contacts to iPhone, follow these steps:
- On the iOS device, go to Settings–> Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
- Tap on ‘Add Account’ and select ‘Microsoft Exchange’.Enter the login credentials for the account that you synced your contacts with.
- Add ‘m.hotmail.com’ in the server field.
- Tap ‘Next’ and set the slider for ‘Contacts’ to ‘ON’.
- Tap ‘Save’ option to start transferring your contacts to your iPhone.
- Download and install iTunes on the system, where you have Outlook installed.
- Open iTunes, select the iPhone icon, available on the upper-right corner and then select the ‘Info’ option.
- Under the Contacts section, check ‘Sync Contacts from’ and set the option to ‘Outlook’
- You are now ready to transfer your Outlook contacts to your iPhone, connected to the computer through iTunes.
Transfer Via iTunes
If you are a Windows phone user and have saved your mobile contacts on Outlook, you can transfer them to your iPhone via iTunes.
These are some simple methods that you can follow to manually transfer your contacts from a Windows mobile device to an iPhone. However, you can also use any 3rd party application to get your contacts transferred or get help from the store associate while purchasing the new iOS device.